New River WV (home)  : : Photo Gallery (home)

 Kaymoor 

In about 1899, the Low Moor Iron Company opened a mine at Kaymoor to supply fuel for its iron furnaces in Low Moor, VA. The mine was named Kay Moor, in honor of its builder, James Kay. The company built two complete towns, at the top of the gorge (Kaymoor Top) and at the bottom (Kaymoor Bottom). Coal from the Kaymoor mine was coked at the Kaymoor plant before shipping to the company's Virginia plant and the company sold its surplus coal on the open market. In 1910 the population of Kaymoor was 375 according to the W. Va. Geological Survey (1919). Kaymoor was the last of the large mines to operate in the New River Gorge, closing in the 1960s.

The Kaymoor area now part of the New River Gorge National River and is accessible via the Kaymoor Trail and the Kaymoor Miners Trail.



Kaymoor Top Trailhead
Kaymoor Top Trailhead

Coke Ovens at Kaymoor
Coke Ovens at Kaymoor

Kaymoor Mine Entrance
Kaymoor Mine Entrance

Kaymoor Powder House
Kaymoor Powder House

Kaymoor Powerhouse
Kaymoor Powerhouse

Kaymoor Tipple
Kaymoor Tipple

Powered by Gallery v1 RSS





Website Hosting &  
Web Design by:
WVWebsites.com

Copyright 2002-2011 by NewRiverWV.com -- All Rights Reserved
Contact :: Advertise