New River WV (home)  : : Photo Gallery (home)

 Hinton, West Virginia 

The town of Hinton was established in 1872 and chartered by the State of West Virginia on September 21, 1880. It became a city in 1897. Hinton is situated around the confluence of the New River and Greenbrier River. It was named for John (Jack) Hinton, a prominent lawyer and the husband of Avis Gwinn Hinton, whose family owned the land upon which it is located. With the completion of the Chesapeake & Ohio (C&O) Railway in 1873, Hinton soon grew to into the major commercial center and transportation hub within the region.

Highlight for Album: Hinton - Photo Collection #1
Album: Hinton - Photo Collection #1
Last change: 04/02/13
Contains: 6 items.

Highlight for Album: Hinton - Photo Collection #2
Album: Hinton - Photo Collection #2
Last change: 04/02/13
Contains: 6 items.

Highlight for Album: Hinton Railroad Days
Album: Hinton Railroad Days
Last change: 04/02/13
Contains: 12 items.

Powered by Gallery v1 RSS





Website Hosting &  
Web Design by:
WVWebsites.com

Copyright 2002-2011 by NewRiverWV.com -- All Rights Reserved
Contact :: Advertise